- We have 90 minutes of footage for a film that is supposed to be five minutes long.
- After double-checking the screenplay, it's quite wordy. I'm not sure five minutes will be long enough.
- The lines that we have thrown around (e.g., "Ta zhangde shufu chenshen") are actually the simple ones. There are some real barnburners in there. Translate "If ones clothes become overly tattered, perhaps it is best to discard them and try on new clothes" into Chinese and say it. Not easy. Makes me question whether I should get an actual Chinese speaker to do the voiceover (to which Brock posed the question, "What would Tim Nm do?" and it became clear I, as a non-Chinese speaker, needed to tough it out and get through it myself.
- The footage is an interesting combination of two directorial styles. Jeremy and I co-directed, but not in the sense of collaborating and making decisions about each shot. Rather, I shot it one way, and Jeremy would say "try it this way" and we'd shoot it his way, too. We're each going for as interesting and meaningful shots as possible, with two different visions of what that is, and we have all of the footage to prove it.
- This is going to be tough to edit, just due to the sheer volume of footage. So many decisions to make. There are so many ways to go with the footage. It's an editors dream and nightmare, all in one. It would be interesting to pass the script and footage around and see what other editor's would make of it.
- There are so many WKW influences in the footage already, but a lot of it will also come in the finishing touches. Doing some radical color correction in post. Maybe some ghosted step-motion. A sound track that is either ethereal or laced with old pop music, or both.
- Wasn't sure which credits to put on the web site. Went with reality... for now.
So, to final cut of Leonardo is on the verge of being completed, and we don't start shooting Wildlifeless for another six weeks (woah, it's coming up fast!), so maybe I'll have some time to dive into this? Hold up! A3F is coming up. Micah will be town. Very interesting.