2004-08-12

Bull Riding: Slim Pickens Style

OK, I promised Dr. Strangelove. Commence with the deliverance.

The first thing that you may notice is that the link above is to us.imdb.com. I don't support any other countries in their linkage. That could cause a gap in the links race.

First of all, if you haven't seen this film, go do it. As is my custom, I have made many a person sit through this movie against their will. Time and time again they come out the other side loving it and raving about it to others. Honestly, I don't think I know anyone who dislikes this film.

The basic premise is that a deranged military camp general, Jack D. Ripper, decides to take matters of nuclear war into his own hands and, by means of a loophole in the system, is able to order a strike on Russia. Keep in mind that this black-and-white beauty was filmed in 1964. Not exactly friendly times to be messing with Russia. Bold move, Mr. Kubrick.

Dr. Strangelove is a dramedy, if you will, leaning more towards the 'medy. Very random humor can be found throughout. The look of the film is certainly dated, but that just increases the laughter on the unintentional comedy scale. You just know that they were really trying hard to pull off some of those special effects sequences (if you can even call them that; they don't seem too special).

The performances are fine all around. Not a bad note to be found. George C. Scott and Peter Sellers are to be specifically noted for their excellent performances. Sellers pulls of the tour de force here, operating as three different characters, including the good doctor himself. One of my favorite things about this movie is that for the first 70-80 minutes you are left with absolutely no clue as to why this movie is called Dr. Strangelove. Priceless.

Have I mentioned that I am henceforth getting paid by the outbound link? Its worth mentioning. Shameless Link! Now back to your regularly scheduled blog.

It should be noted that though the visuals of the film may feel a bit dated it really doesn't detract from the story. And the story holds up to modern times like a coaster propping up a coffee table. I meant that in a good way (was that evident?). Kubrick, through humor, really gets to the heart of fear, unmitigated bias, unsubstantiated xenophobia, etc., etc., and so on. If you don't make the application to the world events we see everyday in the papers (does anyone read newspapers anymore? Someone should study this. Seriously.) or on Yahoo! News than you must have more important issues to deal with. Meow!

So what is the films final statement? In a word: brilliant (like those Guinness commercials)! I dare say no more. They say this one's got a surprise ending.

8 comments:

Joshua Provost said...

I officially give up in trying to compete in the entertainment value (and so soon) category. Shameless link my boot!

Jeremy said...

What does "Shameless link my boot" mean? Seriously, does that mean something?

I'm sorry, that was out of line. You know how some people are mean drunks? I'm a mean blogger. I post comments on everyone's blog and they're generally testy in nature.

I'm singlehandedly ruining TK's blog. How so? By merely entering numerous comments that all include tMiNM lyrics. It must be devestating for her.

Jeremy said...

And yes, I said tMiNM, not TMINM. Its got more funk.

Joshua Provost said...

Devesting for her, devestatingly entertaining for me.

Gabe said...

Peace is our Profession.

Jeremy said...

"Devesting for her"? Now what does THAT mean?

Oh boy!

Anyway, I've noticed that there is an appropriate tMiNM lyric for almost any occasion. Think about how many happy events would work with "So congratulate yourself." Or, if you are unfortunate enough to attend a funeral, "Its the children that are hurt the most." If the death was self-inflicted? "When I heard about your suicide..."

That's just a sampling. There's so many more.

Brock said...

When I hear the album I’ll be sure to write an e-mail to Jeremy composed entirely of those lyrics…

Back to Strangelove for a minute, there’s something about the film I wanted to note that I’m sure Jeremy has considered, but no one has discussed: the camerawork. Now, this being a Kubrick work, perhaps we all felt it was unnecessary to mention the fine shots that went into the composition of this film. I’m going to just throw it out though. After all, I’m commenting on a rather old post. At any rate, the shots (especially those having to do with the “war room”) absolutely bowl me over. I love his camera work in this film. And this is perhaps the ultimate cardinal sin I’m about to commit here, but I’d wager to say that his shots in this film are as tasty and striking as his shots in 2001.

The second thing I wanted to mention was Dr. Strangelove himself. Did anyone ever wonder why he miraculously gained the ability to walk again at the end of the film? I think that it was the very fact that the Nazi Rhetoric had resurrected itself that gave the good doctor his legs back.

Jeremy said...

Very good observations. Kubrick has unmatched camera work. So slick!